The best horror games I’ve ever played

Hi! Hello! I am a huge fan of horror games, and I’ve come across some really good ones. If you can handle a few jumpscares and a creepy story, you should definitely give these a shot.

IMSCARED: A Pixelated Nightmare – $4.00

IMSCARED is a very interesting game. It is a puzzle/horror game, and is one of the most terrifying I’ve ever played. However, this isn’t what makes it interesting. It is a fourth-wall breaking game, and it accomplishes this by crashing your game, creating files on your desktop, and opening browser tabs. The game itself has a weird story, and it is honestly pretty nonsensical. Overall, IMSCARED has a cool environment, tricky and clever puzzles, and a handful of jumpscares. It is also my favorite horror game, and you should try it for yourself.

Doki Doki Literature Club – Free to Play

Doki Doki Literature Club, or DDLC, utilizes a strategy that you will commonly see in the games on this list. This game disguises itself as a cute anime dating sim, but quickly and suddenly transforms into a psychological horror game that uses a similar strategy to IMSCARED’s file creating aspect. This game is incredibly story rich, and the soundtrack isn’t half bad either. The story involves a high school literature club that your childhood friend joined. You then decide to stop by and join it for yourself, and weird things ensue. I will not spoil too much here, because it is really an emotional story that you have to experience for yourself. But, I have a warning, the game is pretty disturbing, and it mostly induces anxiety more than it induces fear. Though, in my opinion, this is what makes it so great, and you should definitely try it if you are over the age of 13.

Spooky’s Jumpscare Mansion – Free to Play

Another game that cutely disguises itself, Spooky’s Jumpscare Mansion is the scariest game I’ve ever played. The idea for the game is simple: There are many “levels”, or stages, and there are jumpscares in each one. These jumpscares start out relatively harmless, but gradually get scarier after the ~50th level. Essentially, the farther you get into the game, the scarier it gets, and some of these scares are absolutely terrifying. Overall, this is an amazing game if you want some quick scares.

The Baby in Yellow – Free to Play

A game that’s been around for a while, but recently received a massive update, The Baby in Yellow is easily one of the coolest games I’ve ever played. This is one of the least scary on the list, but it is still relatively spooky. The game follows you, the babysitter of a seemingly demonic baby. You must navigate the apartment building that this baby calls home, and later escape it. The game does not have too much content so far, but the ~1 hour you’ll spend beating it is absolutely worth it.

I may post more about horror games in the future, but these are the only games I feel like mentioning at the moment. Thanks for reading!

0 comments